Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Lies My Teacher Told Me Review

I know it's been a while since I've done a book review. I've been reading it's just been been taking me a long time to get books finished. I'm hoping that this summer I can get more books read as well as the ones I am currently reading.

If you didn't know I have a degree in history so this book really speaks to me. A lot of people asked if I had ever read this book knowing I was studying history. I didn't and it probably was a good thing I didn't read it until after I graduated. I say this because while I agree with it I feel like it would have made me not want to continue my studies. Also, I have several friends who are teachers and while I know they do everything they can to not be the teachers in this books, actually only one is a history teacher.

Synopsis: Without getting too much into detail, this book is basically Loewen going into areas, mostly textbooks and how history is taught wrong. He goes into detail about how textbooks are written, how they fail students and how students hate the subject.





Review: I really enjoyed this book. While it took me a long time to finish because of how heavy it is I still enjoy it. I remembered why I first studied history and how I wanted to be a history teacher or education manager at a history museum or historical site. It is shocking to see how we are not teaching the right facts.

This book is not for everyone, but if you have any interest in history or how history textbooks are written then read this book.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment