Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Why I Don't Read Fantasy Novels

After so much hype I decided to pick up Game of Thrones first book to read. Seems like I was missing out in something. I've also been playing World of Warcraft too so I seem to be in this fantasy mood lately. In getting into both more WoW than Game of Thrones I realized there's a reason why I don't get into fantasy much. 

The main reason is the unusual names and places. I have a huge tendency to read over names and words I don't recognize even worse that I have no way to know how it's pronounced so I just read over it. I'm not sure what others do but this is what I do. Funny thing some of them have elements of Latin which I took two years of and I still can't figure out what the name is.

In Fantasy a lot of names and places seem to be different than what I'm use to seeing and it usually I don't want to say scares me off but doesn't make me want to jump in and start reading. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix this. How do others get over this hurdle when reading fantasy or sci fi with a lot if names that are hard to pronounce? 

No comments:

Post a Comment