Monday, January 9, 2012

Uglies Book Review

Imagine if we lived in a world where everyone was ugly until they were 16 and then you became pretty. That is the question in this book by Scott Westerfeld. We are so concerned with looks that what if in our future we could make everyone the same so no one would be made fun of for not being pretty enough.

Synopsis: Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever. (Taken from GoodReads)


Review: I have been wanting to read this book ever since I read the synopsis of it. No I am not a teen or a woman with too much body image problems, but I wanted to see how this book was written. It sounded very interesting and it is. I was hooked on the book as soon as I started to read it. What I really like what the two completely different worlds Westerfeld created for this book, those who lived in the city and those who lived outside it. It was done nicely.

I also liked that while the underlining theme was how being pretty can be dangerous and not the best was not in your face. I wasn't sure if it was going to be thrown down my throat, but it wasn't. It was a fun read that kept me entertained. I want to read the rest of the series since the book was written so well and it ends with a cliff hanger.

I gave the book 5 stars because of how well it is written and how much I enjoyed reading it.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment