Monday, December 19, 2011

Book VS The Movie: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

I have been wanting to do a book vs their movie or tv show and I thought about doing this one once I saw the movie this Friday. Now, before I begin I will say that I have only read one Sherlock Holmes book and that was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I enjoyed the book and plan on reading the others as well.

To be honest when the first movie came out a few years ago I wasn't sure what to think of it. Yes, we all know who Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are, but why make an action movie on the greatest detective? I don't know either, but It will say the movie surprised me. The only reason why I did not completely ignore this movie was because it was directed by Guy Richie, who I must say doesn't get enough attention here in the states other than the fact he was married to Madonna. He has made some amazing movies and I love this action scenes. Lots of drama, action and special effects that draw you in.

The movie to my knowledge has nothing to do with any of the cases in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writes about. Basically, Watson is getting married and Holmes is fighting with his nemesis Mortiarty. There's a plot to engage the European countries into a world war. This takes place in 1891 several years before the start of World War I for those of you who know little of history.

I will say that I think this movie and the previous does a decent job of representing Sherlock Holmes. While I don't think it's exactly like the books, I do like how Richie kept Holmes keen eye for observation, which most people would not see. I like Richies way of storytelling and the way he does the slow motion scenes without it looking like it was ripped from The Matrix or over dramatic is just amazing. I love those scenes and in this movie when everyone is running from the Germans who are firing at them is just breathtaking.

So does this movie do the books justice... I'm not sure, but I must say this is at least a decent adaptation to one of the greatest fictional characters who never seems to die no matter what generation it is. It's a great movie for those who like the books and those who enjoy a good action movie

No comments:

Post a Comment