Monday, February 27, 2012

Black Mass Review

I thought I had this review written and posted, but it must have been eaten by the internet. This book was a Christmas present from my boyfriend. I love anything Irish and since I study criminal justice it calls to me.

Synopsis: Story is about the notorious gangster James "Whitey" Bulger. He ran his own gang as well as memeber of the Winter Hill Gang in Boston, MA. The book is about the relationship between the FBI and Whitey Bulger and Steven Flemmi.

Review: I enjoyed this book. I remember reading the news about Whitey getting capture after being on the lam for about 20 years. I was interested to see what it is he did to be so hated by the people of Boston. Since I have no idea of what it was like growing up in an atmosphere like this.

The one issue I have with some true crime and history novels is it takes me twice a long to read a chapter because they are longer and they have a lot of details that you cannot just skim over. I also was not familiar with a lot of names so I had to reread parts to make sure I wasn't confusing two people.

I gave it only 3 stars because while I enjoyed the book, it wasn't my absolute favorite true crime. I liked it, but I am sure there are better true crime books out there.

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment