Monday, January 30, 2012

Down & Derby Review

I finished this book weeks ago and haven't had the chance to review it with school starting and little time to do anything else. If you didn't know I am a fan of roller derby. I want to play roller derby, but I am not a good skater nor do I have the time for it right now. Though I do hope to practice my skating skills and be able to join a league. So this book as a must read to get my prepared and what I need to know before joining.

Synopsis: Basically, this book is the know all for anyone who loves derby, wants to play derby, and those who just want to know what it's all about. The books gives you the history of roller derby, the basics of the game, how to start and resources.

Review: I have been a fan of roller derby for a few years and have been going to local bouts here in Phoenix. I have wanted to play roller derby, but lack of skating skills kept me away. I finally bought my own skates and gear and have been wanting to start relearning how to skate and get into shape.

This book did a great job talking about the progression of the sport and balancing out between flat track and banked track roller derby. They gave a great chapter on whether yo have the time to do derby and other things you need to think about before wasting your time and others on dropping out. I gave a nice list of what you would need and what you can do to get involved even if you cannot commit to skating.

I gave this book 5 stars because it was a very well put together book and gave me a lot to think about.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. What a great find! It's been a few months but I watched a roller derby movie called Whip It and loved it. Definitely adding this book to my TBR. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete