Monday, November 14, 2011

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Review

Yes, someone got the bright idea to take a classic Jane Austin book and invade it with zombies. I am sure a lot of classic lovers are outranged by this. I somehow missed the hype of this book and only found out about it when I passed by it in the store and had to do a double take because a zombified 1800th English Woman is not a common book cover.

Synopsis: The Bennent Sisters are train fighters. They know how to kill the zombies, but do they know how to fall in love and fight for it? The book is Jane Austin's masterpiece, but with one twist not only do the sisters have to figure out love and giving up fighting, but how to protect their beloved country from zombies.

Review: It's really hard to write a synopsis for this book and even harder to do a review. I have not read Pride and Prejudice all the way through, but I have seen the movie and various BBC renditions of it. So I know the basic plot line. It sort of seems like a slap in the face to rewrite a classic with zombies. I guess for some people it makes classics fun to read, but a horror to others.

I felt like the parts of the book where she's talking about her training and loyalty to her master was very forced. It was like having to hear someone brag about meeting the president or something. It just seemed unneeded.

I gave this book 3 stars on goodreads, but it probably should have been given 2 stars. It was an okay book, the zombies were basic brainless dead in search for brains. I haven't read too many zombie books, but this one is probably one of the lesser ones. It seemed more like a joke than a serious book.

One of the weirdest lines and I am going to paraphrase was about Jesus coming back to earth with Excalibur to kill the zombies..... WHAT?! Why would he use that sword? That line just seemed very random and had nothing to do with the rest of the book.

So it was an okay book. I am not sure if the other classics will be much better. Probably not. At least I have taken this book off my to read pile.

And this book is suppose to be turned into a movie. If I remember right Emma Stone is suppose to play the lead role.



Rating: 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. Jesus coming back with Excalibur! That's so weird.
    Aww, that's too bad. I was thinking of getting that book for my cousin this Christmas. She really loves pride and prejudice. : )
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete